9/20/2006
________________
PBS does Warhol tonight and tomorrow.

Comments on ""

 

Blogger Jessica Smith said ... (9:07 PM) : 

hey, i'm watching that right now~!

 

Blogger -kaplan said ... (9:53 PM) : 

it's great so far -- lots to learn about his bio & early commercial career.

 

Blogger Jessica Smith said ... (5:00 PM) : 

yeah. there were a few turns of phrase that i found disconcerting, but the time they spent on the commercial illustration stuff proved enlightening, as did many of the smaller anecdotes about andy's relationship to "fame." howeever i got bored after the first hour. a documentary on andy warhol should be divided into shorter segments, like commercials.

hey, i'm planning to come to DC the 2nd weekend of oct. (to go to the ie reading and then hang out in dc) so we should do something together, if you can clear out an hour or two in your schedule.

 

Blogger Jessica Smith said ... (9:17 PM) : 

tonight's segments are really interesting. i dno't really like the female narrator's voice though, didn't she recently do another of the burns documentaries? she has such a morbid tone.

 

Blogger -kaplan said ... (7:44 AM) : 

I still have to finish watching it this weekend. I only made it through 1962!

Another one to check out is a quirky German documentary called _Absolute Warhola_ that has little to say about Andy Warhol but tons to say about the Slovakian village of the his distant Warhola relatives. I remember that the family back home knew he was a painter, but they assumed this meant he paints houses -- because what other kind of painter is there?

Is my schedule that busy? I just go where the flows of capitol take me, but I'd like to see the I.E. reading too, so let's make a plan.

 

Blogger Jessica Smith said ... (11:05 AM) : 

"Absolute Warhola"--I thik I've seen that one, and it was fantastic. That one is the one that talks about his time capsules near the end, right? the boxes and boxes of collected things labelled for each day (or week?). as far as i'm concerned that one instance (the time capsules, which are now in that museum in slovakia or whatever) is enough for me to be a warhol fan. as it is, he's pretty high up in my book.

plan: let's you me and tom, at least, go to the ie reading together. i can fit one more as well.

it seems to me like you live a very busy life, dr. harris.

 

Blogger Jessica Smith said ... (11:09 AM) : 

i also liked the background on valerie, i didn't realize that she was (as they put it) "turning tricks" when she first came into contact with warhol. it's kind of a tragic story for her. i saw the lili taylor movie long ago but i don't remember it; i'll have to rewatch it. oh, maybe you haven't gotten to that part of the documentary yet.

 

post a comment